I have decided that I am going to do something or go somewhere new each weekend from now on. There are so many things I've been putting off because I think "Oh I'll do that next month" or "I'll go to that restaurant one day" or I go to the places I've been before because I know they're good instead of taking a risk. There's also a deeper issue, I like being in my comfort zone and I have some social anxiety when I'm in new places and with new people. I know everyone feels this way but it never seems like they do, when I go out I feel like I'm the only one who's awkward and everyone else knows what they're doing. So this is a bit of exposure therapy for me, its like an arachnophobe sticking their hand in a spider enclosure.
Here are the rules, these are my rules if you want to play along you may need to adapt them. But the core of the challenge is to do something new once a week to try to make it a habit and break the pattern of routine.
- At least one new event, activity or place each week. (I'm focusing on the weekend since weeknights are tough for me after work)
- I will invite friends but I won't use it as an excuse if they can't make it.
- I will try to focus on activities that will bring me into contact with new people.
- These things don't need to cost money, going to a new park or going for a drive somewhere new counts. No excuses because I can't afford it.
- Monthly events are ok as long as there is something new to see there each month (i.e. a concert series at the same place with different artists counts as new, but my regular knitting group (as much as I love it) does not count as a new activity)